The transfer window for Europe’s biggest clubs is closed, but click here for all the deals and keep track of who has joined the big boys. And Transfer Talk will continue to scour the world’s media and set correspondents loose to see what’s on the agenda for the summer.
United in shock move for Suarez?
No, it’s not April 1: Manchester United are being linked with a move to sign Luis Suarez from Barcelona, according to reports from Diario Gol (via the Manchester Evening News).
The former Liverpool forward could leave Barcelona this summer according to reports, and the Catalan club are said to be already drawing up a list of potential replacements.
Suarez has netted just one goal in his last eight matches for Barca and just once in his last 17 European matches, and his future at the club is said to be unclear… unless his goalscoring record changes.
And United are believed to have “made contact” with Barca in case he does become available at the end of the season.
Verratti to sign extension at PSG
Europe’s top clubs eager to land Marco Verratti this summer will be disappointed by rumours suggesting the Italian is set to extend his contract at Paris Saint-Germain.
ParisTeam (via the Sun) are reporting that Verratti is close to agreeing a new contract despite interest from, among others, Manchester United. United have recently been linked with Gareth Bale, Jadon Sancho and Joao Felix, among others, but Verratti has been a longtime target for the club.
Verratti was one of the star performers as PSG ran out 2-0 winners at Old Trafford last week, and his new deal is said to be for a whopping six years.
Bale to be used as bait?
Spanish giants Real Madrid are considering offloading Gareth Bale and using the Welshman to land either Chelsea’s Eden Hazard from or Tottenham’s Christian Eriksen.
Bale has scored just two goals in his last seven appearances for Real and continues to suffer from injury problems, leaving club officials disappointed of his failure to fill the void left behind by Cristiano Ronaldo.
Bale was quoted this week as saying he was happy in the Spanish capital, but Marca (via the Daily Mail) are reporting that the 29-year-old could leave in the summer, particularly given the form of 18-year-old Vinicius Junior, who has crept above Bale in the club’s pecking order.
Bale’s contract runs until 2022, but noise from inside the club suggests he may not see out the deal.
Chelsea reach out about Icardi
Chelsea have made contact with Mauro Icardi‘s wife and agent, Wanda Nara, reports Sport Mediaset. The Blues are keen to add the wantaway Inter Milan striker to the squad this summer amid rumours that Icardi, stripped of the Inter captaincy last week, is set to leave the San Siro at the end of the season.
Any official bid from Chelsea would no doubt depend not only on the future of boss Maurizio Sarri, who has this week come under increasing pressure following five defeats in ten matches, but also whether or not Chelsea manage to secure Champions League football next season.
Icardi has also missed recent matches and hasn’t been included in the squad for this week’s Europa League clash with Rapid Vienna, and now Chelsea are looking to battle with Real Madrid, Juventus and Napoli for his signature.
Yesterday, AS reported that Inter president Steven Zhang said there was “no chance” he would sell Icardi to Juventus. That he didn’t rule out selling Icardi to anyone else suggests a move this summer is likely.
– Billy Sharp is expected to sign a new deal that will keep him at Sheffield United until 2021, says the Telegraph. The 33-year-old has scored 22 goals this term for the Blades, who are looking to win promotion to the Premier League from the Championship.
– Newcastle will have to spend £16m if they’re to bring striker Salomon Rondon to the north east on a permanent deal, reports the Northern Echo. Newcastle are keen to land the 29-year-old on a permanent deal from West Bromwich Albion, but a number of other clubs are also said to have expressed an interest.